Monday, January 16, 2012

Mmmm Mmmm Monday

I was going to make Valentine's Day themed ice cubes today (I realize now how lame that sounds), but being the Shaky McGee that I am, I couldn't snap a clear picture before they melted.  

On the bright side, my countertop is now the proud owner of a beautiful lake of pink water! :)

AND I have an excuse to post the scrumptious heart-shaped cranberry scones I made my hubby for breakfast this morning!  
I put them on a tray that was actually a framed picture of the two of us an added a little love note/utensils ring to up the cutesy factor.

 Hey, I'm not saying I deserve a gift for this, but if he wants to get me something for my sweetness, I wouldn't tell him no. :)



Okay fine, the jig is up.
Technically they're heart-shaped cranberry "sweetened biscuits".

In case you're a nerd like me who stays up at night ponering those types of questions, here's the breakdown according to KitchenSavvy.com:

Scones tend to be richer, frequently including both eggs and cream in the recipe, though not always.  Some biscuit recipes will enrich the dough with eggs, but use milk or buttermilk instead of cream.  Scones also use a bit more liquid than regular biscuits, which should make them a bit more cake-like in their consistency. While biscuit recipes may or may not call for sugar, scones typically use sugar, but not as much as sweetened biscuits.


Now that we have that settled, I'll give you my super simple semi-homemade recipe.  
Sandra Lee would be so proud! :)

Ingredients:
2 cups Heart Healthy Bisquick
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like your biscuits)
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 425 F.  Mix Bisquick and sugar until combined.  Slowly add milk until soft dough forms.  Fold in cranberries.  Dough will be sticky; add small amounts of Bisquick to be able to work dough into ball shape with hands.  Place ball onto lightly floured surface and roll out to approximately 1/2 inch thickness.  Use heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out biscuits.  Place biscuits on greased cookie sheet and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes approximately 8 heart-shaped yummies.



Sugar & Love Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the immortal words of Fabolous, feel free to "holla back". :)